"Choose you this day whom you will serve....as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." - Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What is your lifesong?

I am reading through a book right now entitled Lifestories. It is written by Mark Hall, the lead singer of the contemporary Christian band, Casting Crowns. In this book, he writes about the inspirations behind some of the songs from thier first two albums. Each chapter of this book is about another song. I must admit that reading this book has been very inspiring to me in my walk with Christ, but also very convicting as well.

One chapter I read recently was about the song Lifesong. The song is about worship and living a worshipful life. Many people go through life looking for their purpose. What am I here for? Why do I exist? What is God's will for my life? I know you have been there. I know I have. Well, I am going to tell you what we are all here for. Come in real close and listen carefully. We are here for one purpose and one purpose alone. We are here to worship and bring glory to our Heavenly Father. The one thing we probably do the least if we are truly honest with ourselves.

In this chapter Hall recounts being at a concert with the students in his youth group. As the band played he noticed many of the youth with their hands in the air worshiping as they sang along with the band. He too had his hands the air when God revealed something to him. He looked up at his hands and thought to himself how he hadn't used those hands to glorify God that day. His hands were empty. That is where the first verse of the song came from. "Empty hands held high/Such small sacrifice/If not joined with my life/I sing in vain tonight" Been there too, huh? I have. Ever find yourself unable to worship because you are spending most of your time seeking forgiveness? I have multiple times. We should always stive to live like Christ. Our lives should be spent in a continual attitude of worship.

Another thing that gets me sometimes is our idea of what worship is. Worship is about what is on the inside, not the outside. The outside is just a reflection of what is on the inside. When we are living lives that are holy and pleasing to God, we make Him smile. Have you ever stopped and thought about that? Who doesn't want to make God smile? We all do. How do we do it? We live lives that are full of Him and are continually giving Him praise and worship. This is what Hall refers to as our "Lifesongs." What is your Lifesong? What does it say about you? Is it one that would make God smile? I encourage you today to make your Lifesong sing to HIM!

Matthew 15:8-9
Galations 2:20
Matthew 23:25-28
Colossians 3:17

Lifesong (Mark Hall)

Empty hands held high
Such small sacrifice
If not joined with my life
I sing in vain tonight

May the words say
and the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to you

Let my lifesong sing to You
Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign Your name to end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

Lord I give my life
A living Sacrifice
To reach a world in need
To be Your hands and feet

May the words I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to you

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!
Let my life song sing to You!

No comments: